6.20.2007

Back to pace

I love having this thing right side up!

Things go so much faster when you can work on multiple projects as others dry, cure or require other tools. I have been working 8+ hrs a day, which is a luxury. Today I flaked out and only worked 7, but thats not such a bad deal.

Please enjoy this blurry picture while I think of something witty to say:



Firstly, the bow seating area needed the footwell sides glued up. Its a matter of finding the right project for the right tools at hand. I had the drill out, I had epoxy and woodflour from other stuff I had worked on, so off we went. They needed a bit of fitting as I didn't get the B frame quite as vertical as I should have.



For context, here is her ever-so-sexy caboose:




Per the manual, the sole needed to go in before anything else happens. The epoxy is curing very fast as of late (its been near 90 today), which makes projects go fast. Jacques wants a clamp glued around the entire perimeter for support of the sole, so that was a daunting task. It turns out that I had enough scrap mahogany from other boat projects that I could glue up everything I needed with Phillipine (bastard) mahogany. The sole is butt blocked together to make a solid piece, which I used more 9mm ply at 4" in width.

Here is a shot of the clamps glued in place and precoated with unthickened epoxy:



Panel numero uno in place (which takes a bit of acrobatics to get it down level without messing up the epoxy):



The final placement, complete with a little weight to get a good smoosh of epoxy:



I also managed to get the clamps cut and prepped for the aft wells, and the A frame is tacked in place (didn't put it in earlier, probably should have). Tomorrow the chompers get cleaned, and my uncle might be flying in with his RV-6 running a converted Mazda rotary engine ( http://www.weslick.com/RV6Index.htm ). That might eat up a little building time, but I have the parts laid out for a rapid recovery and progress!

Stay tuned, I might even have pictures of the salmon I caught tonight, 280 miles from the ocean, on a dam controlled lake with no fish ladders.....

E

No comments: