3.11.2007

Fairest fair.

I guess right off the bat I should explain why its been a while since I have posted. The lake was empty and the dock had sustained some considerable damage from an ice sheet jacking and tipping the legs over a year ago. No drawdown to fix it last year, so it had to be done this year. A level dock makes for a happy wife. Like she always tells me, " Happy wife, happy life! ". Tugboat not included.



The last of the general carpentry on the hull is finished. I took out roughly half the stitches holding the boat together now that I have the shape I want. The full number of stitches helped to get the panels in the right place, then once satisfied I removed a bunch, taking the ones that are less important or were somewhat loose anyways. Much was done to make the panels suitably fair, including trimming panels, tight stitches, loose stitches, weights, 2x4s, lifting from below, and just sitting in the moaning chair staring the boat down daring it to relax. This, and the removal of the bow mold got the lines fair and happy. The bow mold was either misshapen, or just wasn't ideally designed as it was holding most of the front of the boat's weight on the bow mold, pulling the A frame out of its location and making the bottom unfair. Removing it remedied many little nuances of problems, and Im quite happy to show you the results.

From the bow, complete with excessive lighting!



A little closer, from the bow:



From the transom, along an 8' long aluminum straightedge showing the trueness (probably going to need some quickfair when its fairing time), just as the camera died:



I have ordered my glass and epoxy, so with the temps bubbling along in the 50s, its time to get serious about this build!

E

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You make it sound like your wife runs you life. :)

Anonymous said...

I think your maiden voyage should be on Lake Sharpe...if your wife approves.

Unknown said...

Most image programs will do wonders in making pictures brighter and clearer without a lot of work. ACDSee is inexpensive and nice. :-)
I'm enjoying your blog. I'm building a similar-sized boat, and am in almost the same place in the construction: http://boatbuild.wordpress.com/. It'll be interesting to see how they progress!