10.19.2006

In the beginning...

How very thrilling, my own blog. Just another space for a blithering idiot to post pointless information for those who are entirely too enthused with other's lives instead of their own. Ah well, at least I have a purpose for this (somewhat). Bear with me in the beginning, I will be learning the ropes of this blogosphere as best I can.

I have started building a boat designed by Jacques Mertens-Goossens down in Florida by the moniker NINA. It is a 22 foot lobster / picnic boat in the style of a handful of different boats. Those that are familiar with W.M. and John Atkin will see a tremendous resemblance to NINIGRET, which is why I decided to build it.

Mindless banter aside, here is the info:

A link to the boat designers page:
http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=LB22

Gorgeous boat eh?

So after ordering a lovely $450 of marine ply, off we go!

Today included putting down lines on the ply for the internal frames and cutting a few out. I have just a few main frames and one stringer cut (except the small plans error that was found earlier by another builder, thats tomorrow's project). As this boat is a stitch and glue design, it will be built on a very basic strongback using the frames as a mold. Ingenious little bit of design that both JMG and Sam Devlin use.

Laying lines:




Using a batten hung around nails makes the nice fair curves of the deck camber:



Frames A, E, F, and both transoms:




As far as I got, as well as a glimpse of the shop (garage where my truck used to be so happy, dry, not icy, stayed clean, and loved me more than it does now):




My mission is to keep this as up to date as possible, be mildly informative, mildly entertaining, and a good resource for those building Jacques' designs. Please don't hesitate to post any questions (if theres a way to get ahold of me, I have to look on this thing) or request different images if there is something you want to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what kind of marine ply is that? Meranti or Okoume? I used Okoume on my GV11+ but if (when) I build the NINA I will probably go with Meranti because of the cost savings. Although, on my boat, I found the biggest materials cost item to be the epoxy.
-JF

E said...

This was built in Okoume, as the small difference in price isnt worth the big difference in workability and rot resistance. Saving $200 in a $4000 project isnt much when you have repairs later on.